Posted on April 29th, 2009 in Uncategorized | No Comments »
I’ve been listening to Talent Is Overrated: What Really Separates World-Class Performers from Everybody Else by Geoff Colvin. It’s a good book overall but what I really like is Colvin’s discussion of deliberate practice.
Here’s a short 12 minute audio that explains the concept of deliberate practice for internet marketers.
What is deliberate practice? Here’s the very short version:
- Practice that is designed to improve performance (usually requires a coach)
- Practice that can be repeated again and again (not just 3-4 times)
- Feedback and direct results are provided (allows you to focus)
- It’s often hard and not fun (but not so hard that you cannot improve)
Here are some related resources…
- The Science of Experience (TIME Magazine)
- The Road To Excellence: The Acquisition of Expert Performance (Amazon)
- The Role of Deliberate Practice in the Acquisition of Expert Performance (PDF file)
p.s. In the audio I mention the 10x Method. Don’t miss that!